NFPA 289 Standard Method of Fire Test for Individual Fuel Packages
1.1.1 This standard describes a fire test method for determining the fire test response characteristics of individual fuel packages when exposed to various ignition sources.
1.1.2 This fire test method is applicable to individual fuel packages.
1.1.3 This fire test method is not intended to evaluate fire resistance.
1.1.4 This standard contains detailed descriptions of three types of individual fuel packages to be investigated, as follows:
(1) Single decorative object
(2) Exhibit booth
(3) Stage setting
1.1.5 This test method shall not apply to seating furniture, mattresses, stacking chairs, interior finish, textile wall coverings, or mattress sets.
1.2.1 This method of test measures certain fire test response characteristics of individual fuel packages under specified fire exposure conditions.
1.2.2 The method of test provides the following data:
(1) Extent of fire growth
(2) Rate of heat release by the individual fuel package
(3) Total heat released by the individual fuel package
(4) Smoke obscuration, as determined in the exhaust duct
(5) Production of carbon monoxide, as determined in theexhaust duct
(6) Emissions of other combustion gases, as determined in the exhaust duct
(7) Gas temperatures at suitable locations
(8) Mass loss of single decorative objects
1.2.3* The performance observed in the test is based on the test conditions.
1.2.4 The method of test does not provide the following:
(1) Full information concerning toxicity of combustion gases
(2) Fire resistance of systems